HI THERE! I’M JAMES PEMBLINGTON
Thanks for visiting! Explore my site to learn more about me, my background and what I have to offer. If you have questions or would like to discuss an opportunity to work together, feel free to get in touch.
My skills and experience have been developed from the AV & Events industry however my managerial skills would also suit roles that require a customer focused individual. I’m a caring and helpful individual who has gained project management & leadership experience across the entertainments industry and commercial communications sectors. During my time at Merlin Entertainments I have digested their company values and I feel this makes me a strong candidate for you. I have strong attention to detail and truly believe it’s the small things that make a huge difference. As a manager leading from the front, being presentable and approachable for staff and customers ensures you create an environment that thrives on positivity.
Roles & Responsibilities
Dedicated Technical Project Manager with history of Audio-Visual installations both temporary and permanent including Hotels, Grade 2 listed buildings, Dark Rides, black boxes, stages and outdoor spaces including corporate and rock & roll events. Ensuring customer service and company policies are adhered to throughout the department. Strong commercial management experience in a fast paced and demanding environment.
COVID-19 DEPUTY SITE MANAGER - SERCO
November 2020 - Current (Fixed Term Contract)
Leading a team to deliver excellent customer service
Ensuring strict Health & Safety procedures are followed
Motivating agency staff to ensure as a team we deliver the company values
TECHNICAL PROJECTS & EVENTS MANAGER - ALTON TOWERS RESORT
Feb 2017 - Aug 2020
· Acting as Technical Operations Manager along side this role for 18 months while business recruits the position
· Prepare budget based on scope of work and resource requirements with detailed and accurate quotes
· Provide project updates on a consistent basis to various stakeholders about strategy, adjustments, and progress
· Work closely with Creative team to design a space that is not only functional but also has flexibility and serviceability built in from the start
· Understanding current AV technology, including; Audio & Video management, Control systems, Lighting systems, Display and Presentation equipment, digital signage and video conferencing
· Working with QSYS, Medialon Show Control, Hippo, Robe, Vista, Media Matrix, Anolis, Pharos, Qlab, among others.
· Using CAD software to design spaces along with site visits
· Installing AV equipment, On site cable termination
· Re-designed AV Store to run more efficiently and safely
· Servicing and repairing equipment from domestic white goods to industry standard AV equipment
· Analysing guest feedback and providing strategic direction to continuously improve overall rating and KPI scores.
· Responding to guest needs and anticipating their unstated ones.
· Develop and improve the departments relationship with wider resort, Delivering overall culture change regarding the standards of work and customer (both internal and external) expectations.
· Commercial strategy for events, including.
· Leadership with large core team plus fix term technical staff, creating a positive culture.
· Testing of electrical systems in accordance to BS7909
· Recruiting, training, supervising and developing staff
· Engaging contractors for on-site work, ensuring company policies are followed
· Stock control of all AV assets, ensuring equipment is prepped correctly and stored effectively
· Management of all Technical assets including repair, service and testing
· Maintaining department Vans, ensuring all are presentable, driven correctly, loaded safely
· Team development and mentoring to ensure internal progression along with high standards of work
· Ensuring compliance with health and safety legislation
· Manage team to achieve business objectives and meet key performance measures
· Setting up resort CDM sites while undergoing project builds
· Undertake staff appraisal, moving forward with investigations and disciplinaries when required
PROJECT ENGINEER - CINOS
Nov 2016 - Feb 2017
· Producing on site documents and working closely with the design team to deliver technical solutions
· Installing AV equipment into buildings, working on active building sites
· Working with Extron, Crestron, Smartboards, Projectors, LED screens, and Large format display screens
· Assist with the testing and commissioning of AV systems
· Be fully conversant with health and safety, and ensure that such requirements form an integral part of the design
· Installation of AV networking, including on site cable terminations
· Problem solving
· Nationwide site support
HIRE MANAGER - ON EVENT PRODUCTION CO
Nov 2014 - Nov 2016
· Project Management of ‘low cost’ productions (Up to approx. 400 guests)
· Organising crew and staff members
· Business development within trade
· Inputting new equipment onto the hire system and create a spec and description for the website ensuring SEO is taken into account
· Meeting sales targets
· Ensuring all AV equipment is fit for purpose, repaired with minimal downtime
· Creating mail shots and engaging social media posts
HOTEL TECHNICAL STAGE MANAGER - ALTON TOWERS RESORT
Jan 2013 - Nov 2014
· Organising the band and staff
· Organising rehearsals, including set-up
· Design of production show along side creative director
· Programming of Lighting & Sound within hotel entertainment
· Running the backstage and onstage areas during performances
· Health and safety procedures
ENTERTAINMENTS TECHNICIAN - ALTON TOWERS RESORT
Jan 2012 - Jan 2013
· Provide audio, lighting, A/V support
· Work to deadlines
· Ensure strict Health & Safety procedures are followed
September 1999 - June 2004
September 2004 - June 2007
WEST NOTTINGHAMSHIRE COLLEGE
August 2007 - May 2010
UNIVERSITY OF DERBY
BS 7909 TEMPORARY ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS - NAPIT
CITY & GUILDS ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE AND TESTING (2377)
IPAF 3A & 3B
ESSENTIALS OF AV TECHNOLOGY - INFOCOMM INTERNATIONAL
· Special projects
· Budgeting and finance
· Capital improvement planning
· Customer rapport
· Risk management processes and analysis
· Communication skills
· Member of the Association for Project Management
Assisted with the AV design for an onsite resort hotel, building in redundancies, flexibility and saving the business in excess of £250,000
Designed a large number of temporary & permanent events/spaces within the AV/Event industry
Ensuring I keep professional communication both on and off site from concept to handover with all parties involved
Ensuring all final snagging lists are completed in a timely manor
FLEXIBILITY & ADAPTABILITY
Organising a world record attempt showed ability to quickly adapt plans when weather and other factors caused the band to change route.
FINANCE & BUDGETING
Budget costing for several events & projects including shows, attractions and new equipment. As well as maintaining budget for overheads, staffing and R&M.
Management of a team that range from seasonal to permanent, ensuring both core and event products are delivered to high standards.
Use of INFOR to develop inventory tracking for resort AV equipment and digitalise all entertainments attraction reports, saving resources, time and money with built in reporting.
GEORGE MCFARLANE - HEAD OF OPERATIONS - SERCO TESTING SERVICES
James is a likeable and popular member of the team and has settled in well. He is dedicated and has shown the qualities that rightfully earned him praise for his initiative when trying to find a job during the pandemic. James’ positivity touched the hearts of many around the world and he is a credit to himself. We are delighted to have him onboard and playing an important part in running the Covid-19 testing centres that Serco manages on behalf of DHSC
JIMMY THEW - TECHNICAL PRODUCTION MANAGER - GLASGOWS
"James is an extremely hard-working individual and a pleasure to work with. He is highly driven and has excellent team leadership and management skills. James has an extremely high level of technical knowledge and possesses the engineer’s ‘knack’ when it comes to troubleshooting problems and learning new skills. He will go above and beyond to deliver on projects and objectives. His cheerful and positive attitude reflects on those around him and he is excellent at boosting morale and motivating the team. A true professional and an all-round top bloke."
ZACH LOWE - TECHNICAL SYSTEMS COMPANY ASSISTANT - ALTON TOWERS RESORT
"Working with James is a pleasure, I was involved in training James in the use of the sites new enterprise asset management system. James quickly learnt and developed the system for his department and became a teacher himself passing on his knowledge to successfully roll the system out in his department. James brings a positive working attitude to any environment, cares for his staff and has a passion for what he does!"
EMMA CATTERALL - DIVISIONAL DIRECTOR - ALTON TOWERS RESORT
"James throws himself wholeheartedly into everything he does,taking the time to understand a brief and deliver to and beyond it. He is able to deliver event production effectively and unassumingly, making sure everything runs smoothly."
CHRIS VERNON-SMITH - CREATIVE DIRECTOR - ON EVENT PRODUCTION CO
I had the pleasure in working with James for many years at On Event Production Co. James was a star within the team and provided outstanding customer service to our rental customers, as well as throwing himself into the challenge of building the hire department and assisting with the task of migration to a new rental system. He has a good, all round knowledge of event technology and understanding of the needs and wants of both corporate and live music events. I would describe James as a "peoples person" with a natural rapor that helps him bond with colleagues and customers. He builds strong, long lasting relationships which is huge asset when it comes to business development and retainment.
SOPHIE KNOWLES - GUEST RELATIONS MANAGER - ALTON TOWERS RESORT
"James- a true talent with anything and everything technical! James is always the go to guy when myself and my team needed any assistance with the entertainments systems within the hotel. He is approachable, knowledgeable and very patient, always willing to help to ensure the smooth running of the entertainment team within different venues. Working alongside James in a different department he is exceedingly professional but friendly with a sense of fun. He’s a genuinely great guy!"
BILLY HARRISON - ENTERTAINMENTS TECHNICIAN - ALTON TOWERS RESORT
"One of, if not the most friendly and approachable manager I've ever had the pleasure of reporting to. Very highly skilled and keeps the job fun whilst remaining exceptionally professional."
MICHAEL HAYNES - PRODUCER - PARTY TRICKS ENTERTAINMENT
"I had the pleasure of working with James at Alton Towers and I look forward to the opportunity to work with him again in the future. Not only is he skilled and talented in the technical aspects of entertainment and technical equipment and computers in general, he has a strong work ethic which is coupled with a a natural desire to help and create the best production possible. Any team with James on it will be increased in efficiency, productivity and results. His abilities are also complimented with a sincere, trustworthy and polite character that keeps those around him motivated and focused. If I was looking for a technical manager to lead a team or a stand alone technical consultant or technician, I would hire James immediately."
JONATHAN ELLIS - HEALTH & SAFETY DIRECTOR - ALTON TOWERS RESORT
"I have worked with James over many projects from Scaremazes to awards nights to events. He is technically highly competent but more than that a pleasure to work with. Nothing is too much trouble."